Books, Videos, Movies And More
FOOD & NUTRITION
- Good Calories, Bad calories by Gary Taubes: This groundbreaking book explains how, despite poor scientific evidence, we all got sucked into believing that fats are bad for us and carbs the better option. It’s a great read and will change the way you eat and think about food, for sure.
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf talks about the science behind the paleo way of eating, why it’s not just another “diet” and how it can benefit your health.
- The Real Meal Revolution: by Prof Tim Noakes, Sally-Ann Creed and Jonno Proudfoot. Written by the pioneers of the LCHF/banting movement with lots of delicious recipes that won’t leave you hungry.
- Cereal Killers 1: Highlights the benefits of following a high fat, low carb diet, featuring sports scientist Prof Tim Noakes. Follow this link to find out more.
- Cereal Killers 2 – Run on Fat: This movie challenges the common belief that a high carb diet is essential for endurance athletes. It gives some great examples of athletes who perform even better on a high fat diet. Here’s the link.
- That Sugar Film (with David Gameau); an eye-opening Australian documentary which highlights how much hidden sugar there is in today’s diet and the effects sugar can have on our bodies even in a short period of time. Here’s the link to the trailer.
- Real Meal Revolution Website: This site is an encyclopedia related to the low carb high fat/banting lifestyle. It is packed with free resources and has a great, affordable 5-week program to get you started.
- Dr Peter Brukner, a Melbourne based specialist sports and exercise physician is also a promoter of the LCHF diet. He has put together a very comprehensive list of resources on LCHF.
- Low Carb Down Under is the best Australian low carb website that I’ve come across; it provides great information and resources around the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet, as well as recipes. It also includes a list of LCHF General Practitioners in Australia.
What the experts have to say on LCHF
- Prof Jeff Volek – Nutrition for optimizing Athletic performance
- Prof Jeff Volek – The many facets of keto-adaptation: Health, performance and beyond
- Peter Brukner – Can Elite Athletes Eat LCHF and win?
- Prof Grant Schofield – Low Carb and public health
- Dr Stephen Phinney – optimizing weight and health with and LCHF diet
- Tim Noakes – Medical aspects of the low carbohydrate lifestyle
- David Gillespie – Sugar? No Thanks
- David Gillespie – Sweet Poison and big fat lies
- Dr Zeeshan Arain – Why aren’t I losing weight on LCHF?
- Vicky Kuriel – Case reports from an LCHF dietitian
EXERCISE & MOVEMENT IN GENERAL
- Explain Pain by David Butler and Lorimer Moseley: An excellent guide to understanding, managing and treating pain.
- And here’s an excellent talk by David Butler which will help you to understand pain a lot better.
- A very entertaining clip on common issues around bad posture and what to do about it.
- A 5 minute explanation on why prolonged sitting is bad for you.
- This episode of the Catalyst talks about how 6 minutes of high intensity training a week can improve your fitness levels. No more excuses for the time-poor.